[78-L] Standard Program Library

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Mar 27 19:21:29 PDT 2010

Well, back then PMS did not have the same meaning it has now.  Here it
means Pacific Coast, 16-inch, S or SHQ recording system.  The matrix
numbers fold into the late-30s RCA Victor series except that there
probably were blocks assigned and set aside for these, so they might not
fit in precisely with commercial recordings.  There's a Tommy Dorsey NYC
session on May 6, 1937 where the numbers jump from 07899 to 010129.  One
group of your numbers fit in that jump which might be set-asides.  His
Jan 27, 1938 session ends at 018424 and his Feb 3, 1938 session begins
at 019617.  Your other numbers fit in there.  Naturally this is only a
start.  I just picked a performer that recorded for Victor in that era
and found things that fit.

There is another important recording around that May 7, 1937 date -- the
Hindenburg Disaster.  The three 16-inch dubbings of the four origianl
lacquers were made in Chicago on Sat May 8 on MS 08107 thru 9.  A set of
six 12-inch 78 dubbing made in Chicago on June 7 from the original
Chicago dub were on CS 08165 thru 70  Both sets of numbers right in the
block in  the Dorsey May 6 session.  But a set of two 12-inch 78
dubbings made in New York on May 21 with excerpts  from the original
Chicago dubbing were on CS 07695 and 95 which is before the block, and
before the Dorsey session numbers.  I believe there is some guide to the
set-aside blocks for some of the time periods, and the Victor Project
might eventually get to them.

Mike Biel mbiel at mbiel.com