[78-L] TOPS artists (was Bud Roman..Who he?.. )

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 23 20:36:19 PDT 2010

I remember getting into a conversation once with George Buck regarding Black and White.He would have
loved to acquire the masters but it seemed that there was a big legal hassle regarding them.What brought
this about were a couple of 78s I had of bandleader Earle Spencer,Jack McVea,Charlie Ventura and some
things I saw reissued of Dizzy Gillespie from Black and White.I even had some Black and White 78s of
some country and western band and all I can remember is the name Ralph Bass and I believe he was an
A & R man there.It seemed to me that Bob Shad started the label though I've read differently by way of
Arnold Shaw.The Dizzy stuff was on LP.