[78-L] Barraud "Nipper" painting at auction in Maine

H D Goldman thedoctor at discdoc.com
Sun Mar 21 15:13:25 PDT 2010

In the earl/mid 1980s, EMI released a limited number of lithographs of what was then a recently discovered copy of the Barraud painting. If memory serves, this painting was found during a cleanup of a storeroom adjoining the board room.  The painting does not bear any logo, the record is the size of the platter, no label is visible & the "shadow" of part the original cylinder machine can be observed as in the original painting.

A small number of these copies were available in the US from a well known dealer in California.   Tim Fabrizio had several copies at one time.  Peter Martland in EMI, the first 100 years, states that 24 copies were of the original were prepared for the Gramophone & Victor Companies.

Regards,

Duane Goldman