[78-L] TOPS artists (was Bud Roman..Who he?.. )

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Mar 21 13:53:23 PDT 2010

Al Haug wrote:
> I had a TOPS 78 EP (4 songs) that a had a great version of "You're Running
> Wild" performed by Jonny and Jack, every bit as powerful as the Louvin
> Brothers version, maybe better.
With that in mind, did any of these things EVER get on a sales chart or
get radio plays??  I don't think Billboard and the other magazines like
CashBox would have considered counting the non-record store sales
figures.  But would a DJ have had the guts to play one of these
records??  Thinking of the disc sets that were advertised on radio,
would playing any of those records on a program be considered payola?
It was nearly a decade after the payola scandal that the established
record companies felt it was safe to buy radio ads.I think the
mail-order sets were already ended by then.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com