[78-L] my first Monarch

Mark S. Chester mschester at email.msn.com
Sat Mar 20 22:19:51 PDT 2010

The label style you describe was in use between around mid-1902 and early
1905, with a font change during 1903. The earliest use of this style had a
flush label, and eventually, the new stamper duplication process (around
1903) resulted in a recessed label which was used well into the electrical
era. The font typeface used on the brand name on the later (and ultimately,
last) style Monarch records as well as the Grand Prize Victors is called
Romana. Starting in early 1904 a small square license notice sticker is
placed on the blank side; prior to that they were entirely blank. I assume
your copy has a recessed label.

The recording dates for that selection are 5/28/1903 for take 1 and
6/16/1903 for takes 2 and 3. Since it was probably issued during the summer
of 1903, the earliest copies would be blank on the back, and during most of
1904 there would be a patent notice sticker on the back dated January 1,
1904. During 1905 the Monarch name was dropped from the labels of Victor
records, and the Grand Prize label was introduced. This recording would have
appeared also with the Grand Prize label between 1905 and 1908 (or whenever
it was withdrawn from the catalog.)

This is the vintage of record I prefer to collect, above most everything
else.

Mark S. Chester
Phoenixville, PA