[78-L] This is Louisss, Dolly. (or is it?)

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Tue Mar 16 22:04:09 PDT 2010

Was just listening to some '60s recordings by Louis Armstrong, some of which were produced by Quincy Jones (a factoid that had escaped me). We recently discussed the pronunciation of Armstrong's first name on this list, and after reading Terry Teachout's recent biography, it seems that Armstrong did prefer "Lou-iss." Some on this list cited as evidence the opening lyric from "Hello, Dolly" where Armstrong says, "this is Lou-issss, Dolly!" However, to sully this argument a little, on his Mercury recording of "Mame," Armstrong sings the line, "You make your Louie feel like a king." What this tells me is that he was probably more ambivalent about it then one might think.

Incidentally, the Teachout book is an excellent read.

Cary Ginell