[78-L] Rust as critic

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Mon Mar 15 15:34:29 PDT 2010

In case you've never encountered Brian Rust as music critic - here's a
sample:

http://www.gramophone.net/Issue/Page/August%201948/11/862842/MISCELLANEOUS#header-logo

I guess we're all familiar with most of the music Brian reviews here,
and we know 1948 wasn't  the best year for popular music. But I'm a bit
terrified by his attitude and choice of words. He's funny when panning -
and that's the easiest part of the job (I'm a critic myself) - but with
so little to please him I'm wondering how long he endured holding a
chair as critic. And how long the public endured him as such.
Anyway, this shreds some light on his (occasionally idiosyncratic)
selectiveness in the discographies.
Kristjan