[78-L] Kenny Hagood [was Pee Wee Marquette]

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 17:32:20 PST 2010

I never asked Mulligan about this recording (he wrote the arrangement), but
I have a feeling that Capitol wanted a cross-over side that would get some
airplay. Also, Hagood was the vocalist with the nonet during the two-week
Royal Roost gig in 1948; there is an aircheck of John Lewis' arrangement of
"Why Do I Love You" with a Hagood vocal.

John also arranged "The Way You Look Tonight" for the nonet. Unfortunately,
I never got a chance to see whether all the parts existed when I worked on
this music for publication.

Jeff Sultanof