[78-L] Kenny Hagood [was Pee Wee Marquette]^^^^

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Sat Mar 13 12:53:30 PST 2010

Bertrand Chaumelle says: “Now about the 'urinals': it's possible that
you're talking about
'robinets' (water dispensers) which were necessary because there was no
running water in your room ??

No, these were actual stand-up urinals built into the wall half way
along the stairs. I assure you, they were not designed for large
Americans! I forgot to mention that in this particular hotel, there
were hall and stair lights on timers. Unless one vaulted up the stars,
it was impossible to get to the next landing before the lights went
out. There in the dark you would have to feel your way along the wall
to find the next “on” switch. One time I had to use the urinal on the
way up stairs. When I closed the door, it was pitch black inside. When
I opened the door to step out it was also pitch black. I had to stand
there a few moments until I had gained my bearings for fear of falling
down stairs. It was a good thing there wasn’t another door on the
outside of the urinal or I might have become a small blurb in
L’Express.