[78-L] Jazz as Dance Music - slightly off topic

Tim Huskisson timhuskisson at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 11 10:44:41 PST 2010

I have always believed that Jazz lost its mass appeal after the Swing Era -
not because of the melodic and harmonic technicalities of the Bop and modern
styles that followed, but because you couldn't dance to it. The best DANCE
music has always had a strong rhythmic pulse - usually played, but sometimes
just felt. At the peak of the Swing era, it was the norm for drummers to
play their bass drum '4 in the bar'. That, synchronised with the same rule
for bass players and guitarists, resulted in a very strong rhythmic pulse -
great to dance to! Many would argue that pioneer Bop drummers such as Kenny
Clarke and Max Roach freed drummers from this constraint; and yes, the
playing may have became more creative, but at a great cost to the popularity
of Jazz.
In the late 1970s / early-1980s there was a resurgence of dancing to Jazz
that was not simply a revival of an earlier musical style. In the UK it was
known as 'Jazz-Funk'. I can remember seeing masses of people dancing to
music that quite often featured extended Jazz soloing on top of the
contemporary dance 'beat' of the day. Few really listened to or understood
the Jazz content, and most were only too happy to dance to its infectious
beat. But wasn't that also true of those who danced to the music of the
Swing era?

Tim Huskisson