[78-L] Jazz as Dance Music

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Thu Mar 11 07:03:01 PST 2010

We all know that early jazz, like most forms of popular music, was
intended for dancing. What we don’t think about is people dancing in
the late 1950s to hard bop. I went several times to Small’s Paradise to
hear the Jazz Messengers. Johnny Griffin was on the band at the time,
and they would be playing loud and fast, and dancers would be out on a
small dance floor jiving away. IK was really quite amazed people would
even attempt to keep up with Messenger tempi.