[78-L] Pinch Bottle [was BG Carnegie concert book article]

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Mar 9 11:10:24 PST 2010

Geoffrey Wheeler wrote:
> Thanks to Steve Ramm’s link, I have read the article by Terry Teachout
> on Jon Hancock’s book, “Benny Goodman The Famous 1938 Carnegie Hall
> Jazz Concert.”  I’m pleased for Jon Hancock and his book that Teachout
> chose to cover it in his Wall Street Journal column. Hopefully, this
> will bring the book to the attention of a lot of people who might be
> interested in reading and owning the book. I have one caveat, however:
> Teachout describes it as a “coffee-table book.” The book measures
> 7-5/8x10-1/4 inches, which hardly qualifies as “coffee-table-book”
> size. It’s binding also does not allow the book to lay flat for easy
> paging and viewing, as one would expect of a coffee-table book. I was
> at the concert in spirit but not physically. I was still struggling at
> the time with standing up tall enough to reach the Haig & Haig pinch.
Can you reach these?

Kai Winding (tb) Stan Getz (ts) Al Haig (p) Jimmy Raney (g,vcl) Tommy
Potter (b) Roy Haynes (d) Blossom Dearie (vcl)
New York, July 28, 1949
HL101    Pinch bottle    Harry Lim HL1, Prest PR7516, OJC CD706-2 [CD]
HL102    Earless engineering         -              -           -
HL103    Be still TV (jr,bd vcl)    Harry Lim HL2, Prest PR7516, OJC
CD706-2 [CD]
HL104    Short P, not LP (jr,bd vcl)         -              -           -

or

Al Haig Quartet/Sextette:
Al Haig (p) Jimmy Raney (g,vcl) Don Russo (b) or Tommy Potter (b-1)
Charlie Perry (d) Terry Swope, Buddy Stewart, Dave Lambert (vcl)
New York, late 1948
C142    Haig and Haig (ts,jr vcl)    Jade JEP207, Spotlite (E)SPJ143
C143    Always (ts, jr vcl)    Jade JEP207, Castle 509, Spotlite (E)SPJ143
SIWC2047    Bopelbaby (bs,dl vcl,1)    SIW 548,           -   , Jazz
Selection (F)JS674
C145    Talk a little bop    Jade JEP207, Castle 509, Vogue INT40019,
Spotlite
         (E)SPJ143, Mainstream (E)MRL5007
2047 ?    In a little Spanish town    Jade JEP207, Vogue INT40019,
Mainstream (E)MRL5007

The first session has some curious titlings. Does "Short P, not LP"
refer to the long play record? If so, is it the first? The vocals are
totally scat.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4929 (20100309) __________

http://www.eset.com