[78-L] Damage Control on Acoustic 78s?

beststuff4u at frontiernet.net beststuff4u at frontiernet.net
Mon Mar 8 18:29:05 PST 2010

They say ignorance is bliss, so that would make me extremely blissful.

All these years I played 78s without recognition that there were factors under my control that could either cause or avoid damage to my records. The worst I ever experienced was poor sounding music. Now that I am aware of the possibilities of certain damage factors, I need to understand how to detect them before any damage is done. I'm preparing to make some equipment changes as well as to start listening to my most treasured acoustics that I have not played in many years. Until now I've only been playing electric 78s.

The factors I am concerned about are:

1. Wrong stylus size.
2. Wrong stylus shape (i.e. conical, elliptical, truncated elliptical,etc.)
3. Improper tracking pressure.
4. Mismatch of cartridge to tonearm (tonearm weight and cartridge compliance).

Rather than learn thru trial and error and ruin my acoustics, I am hoping that the esteemed members of this list can answer some very elementary questions.

1. For the four concerns listed above, how do damage potentials present themselves? Visual? Audio? Other?
2. I often read about "mistracking" as a potential to destroy a record in short order. How is mistracking recognized?

Thank you for any help in getting me out of my blissful (i.e. ignorant) state.