[78-L] Tom Lehrer

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 8 10:48:34 PST 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 13:12 -0500, Michael Biel wrote:

> We've discussed the stereo situation here in the past, but briefly both
> of the second set of songs came out in mono and stereo.  When Reprise
> reissued the audience recording of the second set, An Evening Wasted"
> Lehrer edited out some of the applause he felt was excessive from the
> mono tape.  Reprise used this tape in fake stereo for their issue.
> Therefore, the only real stereo versions in unedited form are the
> original -- and VERY rare -- Lehrer LP, the mire common English Decca,
> and the still available BRITISH CD -- NOT the American one. The American
> CD is in two versions, both edited.  I think it first was fake stereo
> but then they electronically edited a stereo master to match.
> Revisited was mono only and exists in three versions.  The American
> version has one side recorded in the U.S. and one in Australia.  The
> British LP and the current U.S. CD has both sides recorded in the U.S.,
> and there is a very rare Australian LP with both sides recorded in
> Australia.  (This stereo section is from memory and might not be
> perfect.  see the on-line discography referenced thru Demento's site.)

It goes like this:

Songs By Tom Lehrer - mono only

More of Tom Lehrer - mono and stereo, but try to find the latter. I dare
ya.

An Evening Wasted with Tom Lehrer - mono and stereo

Tom Lehrer Revisited - mono only, despite its 1960 release.

The US stereo version of "Wasted" is available on the box set The
Remains Of Tom Lehrer .  The stand-alone "Wasted" CD was originally
issued in fake stereo, but was reissued in true mono.

The "official" discography (and by "official" I mean that Lehrer himself
helped compile it) is at
http://php.indiana.edu/~jbmorris/FAQ/lehrer.disco.html .