[78-L] Tom Lehrer

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Mar 8 10:12:37 PST 2010

From: dialjazz at verizon.net

Steve Ramm wrote:
> No very. I see them at yard sales all the time.

Neither of you are specific enough.  In general, yes it is very common.
Between Leah and myself we have at least a dozen copies.  BUT, as dl
starts to explain, the question had to be more specific.

David Lennick wrote:

>> Apparently the only rare edition is the first one, which gives

 >> Lehrer's home address on the back. dl

Even this is not specific enough.  When the album first came out it was
on Transradio, which was the name of the Boston recording studio it was
recorded in.  The first 400 copies had his home address for obtaining
more copies.  A friend of mine near Phila has long had a copy of this
version, and last year Leah found a copy for $1 at Amoeba's in Los
Angeles.  All later copies use a P.O. box address.  The next several
pressings were also on Transradio.  All of the Transradio copies can
usually be determined by a darker red printing of the flames.  We've
found three or four of these and have seen many others.  When the label
name was changed to Lehrer records the flames on the cover got a lighter
red color.  It is these copies that are all over the place, but some of
the masters have handscribed matrix numbers.  All seem to be RCA
Rockaway, N.J. pressings.

>  There was a 2nd 10in one called "More Songs by Tom Lehrer" that shows up less often.]  S

The reason why it shows up less often is that it does not exist as a
10-incher.  By the time he recorded the second set of songs he had
already reissued the fiirst set as a 12-incher.  The live album "An
Evening Wasted" and the studio album of the second set cam out together,
both only as 12-inchers.  Likewise, when he did the first set of songs
with an audience "Revisited", it also came out as a 12-incher.

We've discussed the stereo situation here in the past, but briefly both
of the second set of songs came out in mono and stereo.  When Reprise
reissued the audience recording of the second set, An Evening Wasted"
Lehrer edited out some of the applause he felt was excessive from the
mono tape.  Reprise used this tape in fake stereo for their issue.
Therefore, the only real stereo versions in unedited form are the
original -- and VERY rare -- Lehrer LP, the mire common English Decca,
and the still available BRITISH CD -- NOT the American one. The American
CD is in two versions, both edited.  I think it first was fake stereo
but then they electronically edited a stereo master to match.
Revisited was mono only and exists in three versions.  The American
version has one side recorded in the U.S. and one in Australia.  The
British LP and the current U.S. CD has both sides recorded in the U.S.,
and there is a very rare Australian LP with both sides recorded in
Australia.  (This stereo section is from memory and might not be
perfect.  see the on-line discography referenced thru Demento's site.)

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com