[78-L] 1st Family

Bertrand CHAUMELLE chaumelle at orange.fr
Sun Mar 7 12:11:16 PST 2010

Le 7 mars 10, à 00:28, Michael Biel a écrit :

> Bertrand CHAUMELLE wrote:
>> The last URL you sent us. So it must be that guide. Thanks to eBey for
>> saving my life !
>>
>> I know that comedy album; I've seen it several times at the flea
>> market, here, in the old days.
>
> Pressed where?  France?
+++Highly unlikely. There was absolutely no potential market for
English spoken records in France.
I have a Spike Jones LP called "Carmen au Texas" which is of course "SJ
Murders Carmen" with a French narrator !
He did a great job, his name was Jean Toscane. And the modified French
cover is swell, too. Totally different.

And Cadence records had almost no exposure here:
a few Everly Brothers sides on the short-lived Heliodor label, then
some on London (a Decca subsidiary). That's all I can recall. Andy
Williams himself had no French release until he was on Columbia (CBS
here).

Comedy records ? Forget it.

> I have Canadian and British issues but didn't
> know of any others.  Get me details of any from Europe.

+++Sorry, I can't.

>> I found the cover unattractive
>
> Actually I love the combination of the light green grass and the light
> blue sky.
+++I have a taste for US record covers: they are (were) the best in the
world. I'm talking about Contemporary (not Blue Note), Riverside, MGM,
Columbia, RCA Victor, Liberty... But I'm dubious about Cadence,
Reprise, GNP-Crescendo, Time... Did they EVER create a really good
cover ?!?

BC