[78-L] 1st Family

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Mar 6 20:48:11 PST 2010

Steven C. Barr wrote:
> [...]

Not using the exact audio, unless you count the documentary "Point of Order" as
a comedy album. But McCarthy was satirized at the time..by Bob & Ray on the
radio, by Stan Freberg ("Point of Order") on record, and skewered by
blacklisted playwright Reuben Ship when he returned to Canada and wrote "The
Investigator" for CBC Radio. John Drainie spent a few afternoons in a bar in
Buffalo watching the hearings and getting McCarthy's drawl down pat.
Ironically, when the play was "bootlegged" on LP in the States (bootlegged my
ass, the aircheck was smuggled out by the show's producer), it was an
underground hit but Drainie couldn't get any work in the States because nobody
would admit to having listened to it or finding it amusing.

Good night and good luck.