[78-L] Misterioso label

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Sat Mar 6 07:47:19 PST 2010

Regarding the four albums issued on the Misterioso label, Julian Vein
comments: “I'm still surprised that their existence wasn't known
to discographers. ...”

I published the complete playlists of the four Misterioso albums in my
1999 book Jazz By Mail: Record Clubs and Record Labels... I published
an expanded version of the playlists, along with additional commentary
in my 812-page book Dial Records: West Coast Jazz and the Be-Bop Era
published in August 2009. Since I had copies of the albums to refer to,
I did not bother to check whether Lord or any other discographer had
listed them. I am surprised to learn that Julian with all his
wide-ranging resources has been unable to find any such listings. I
would have thought Lord and others would have listed them. But then
Lord has never bought any of my books, which may explain the lacuna
where the contents of the four albums is concerned.