[78-L] KKK records?

Jim Whipkey suuford at msn.com
Wed Mar 3 15:10:19 PST 2010

  Message: 19
  Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 10:12:27 -0500
  From: "Banjo Bud" <banjobud at cfl.rr.com<mailto:banjobud at cfl.rr.com>>
  Subject: Re: [78-L] KKK records

  "It Takes A Long, Tall, Brown Skin Gal To Make A Preacher Lay His Bible
  Down."

  Bud

  Hard to  forget a title like this. After  Bud  posted the above,  I went and checked and  sure enough, I have an old player piano roll titled "It Takes a Long Tall Brown Skin Gal to Make a Preacher Lay his Bible Down".  I don't have  player piano anymore, never recall  having heard this song, wonder  what  it is,   song sung  for and by blacks?   KKK  type record?   Or  maybe just a  fun type spoof song   aimed at the masses?  I have no clue. What I did, however, is hand roll down the roll and  read the  lyrics.  Except for the  words Brown Skin, it sounds pretty much like a lust type  song when a man wants a woman like  tunes   from way back when  to  just about nowadays. The piano roll  I have  is "autographed"  by the player, Pete Wendling, label says words by Marshall Walker, music by Will E. Skidmore, copyright 1917 by Will E. Skidmore.  Gotta get me another player piano so I can play  some of these old songs.

  Jim Whipkey