[78-L] Who's the vocalist?

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Mar 2 11:41:39 PST 2010

Taylor Bowie wrote:
> I don't think it's Scrappy.   The tone of voice combined with the "accent"
> makes me think of Frank Luther.  I could be wrong.  Singers like Luther,
> Art Jarrett,  Cliff Nazzaro,  etc. (all on record about this time) had a
> little bit of a nasal twang,  which I detect here.  Scrappy didn't...and I
> don't think it's a function of the Victor recording as I've heard him on
> plenty of Victors.  For a good comparison,  play the Pollack "Song of the
> Blues" and compare it with this side...quite a different sound.
>
> Citing Rust as a reliable source for dance band vocals is a pretty dubious
> proposition.  He's often wrong or has no information  on the older titles,
> e.g. on the Ben Bernie Brunswicks.
>

> Taylor ("I May Be  Wrong,  But...I Think I'm Wonderful...")
Thanks Taylor. I have some better recorded Scrappy where he sounds a
little like Bing. It seems my main skill is in being able to tell who a
vocalist isn't rather than who he is!

The new American Dance Band Disco states that Frank Munn is reported as
vocalist on the previous session of October 27, but lists Scrappy as
being on the December 8 session.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4910 (20100302) __________

http://www.eset.com