[78-L] Who's the vocalist?

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Tue Mar 2 10:48:06 PST 2010

I don't think it's Scrappy.   The tone of voice combined with the "accent"
makes me think of Frank Luther.  I could be wrong.  Singers like Luther,
Art Jarrett,  Cliff Nazzaro,  etc. (all on record about this time) had a
little bit of a nasal twang,  which I detect here.  Scrappy didn't...and I
don't think it's a function of the Victor recording as I've heard him on
plenty of Victors.  For a good comparison,  play the Pollack "Song of the
Blues" and compare it with this side...quite a different sound.

Citing Rust as a reliable source for dance band vocals is a pretty dubious
proposition.  He's often wrong or has no information  on the older titles,
e.g. on the Ben Bernie Brunswicks.

Taylor ("I May Be  Wrong,  But...I Think I'm Wonderful...")