[78-L] Talking Machine World and / or Review

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Feb 28 17:10:50 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Geoffrey Wheeler" <dialjazz at verizon.net>
> > There was a magazine called Talking Machine World (TMW). Now I read
> somewhere about a magazine called Talking Machine Review. Was this a
> misprint for TMW?
> > Has such a magazine been digitized for easy access by researchers?
> Talking Machine World is a very difficult publication to source. Even
> information about its years of publication is often incorrect. I
> believe the reason for the scarcity of its issues today is that it was
> a trade magazine, and therefore regarded by people in the trade as
> disposable once the next issue arrived. Although other trade magazines
> were published contemporaneously with TMW, TMW stands as THE
> inexhaustible source for information about sound recordings and the
> recording industry during the years of its publication. Check the
> internet for “talking machine world” and you will find various websites
> that may prove helpful.
> Talking Machine World from January 15, 1905 to December 15, 1928 and
> Talking Machine World & Radio Music Merchant from January 15, 1929 to
> December 15, 1930 are available on microfilm through the Center for
> Research Libraries (CRL), a consortium of North American universities,
> colleges, and independent research libraries. Not available are the
> last two years of publication, January 15, 1931 through December 15,
> 1932. The consortium acquires and preserves traditional and digital
> resources for research and teaching and makes them available to member
> institutions through interlibrary loan and electronic delivery. Based
> at the University of Chicago, CRL has a web site at:
> wwwcrl.uchicago.edu. By working through a CRL member university
> library, you may then be able to access CRL materials. Web site
> click-ons include: Collection Search Links, CRL Member Institutions,
> Search Collection Databases, How to Use CRL Collections, and more.  I
> have seen copies of TMW&RMM from the period January 15, 1931 through
> December 15, 1932 in bound volumes in a private collection.

Interesting! It is now up to us 78 fans to try and obtain the necessary
permissions
to digitize and "Internet-ize" TMW...along with "Record Research" and "New
Amberola Graphic!!" As well, it would be VERY useful to have the "standard
discographies" net-available in digital form...!?

Steven C. Barr

(who may yet convert my Dating Guide to digital-database form...?! Except I
no longer own the rights...it is currently being published by Kurt
Nauck...!)