[78-L] KKK records

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Feb 28 16:33:43 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> From: malcolm at 78data.com
> >>I have heard that possibly Homer Rodeheaver also recorded
> >> Klan material but have not been able to document any.
> Don Chichester wrote:
> > Last I heard, Mike Montgomery (of player-piano fame) was collecting
> > Rainbow Records, including KKK discs. Don
> From what I remember from the last time this subject came up 5 or so
> years ago, it was determined that Homer never recorded any of them
> himself nor issued then on his label, but he might have recorded at
> Gennett the same day as one of the Klan records. However, I think
> someone turned up a Klan songbook which his publishing company printed
> as a print contract job.
>>> I'm also seeking a possible collector that specializes in this sort of
>>> material
> When I was looking thru records at the first dealer to the left inside
> the door at the Wayne Music Machines show, a friend of his came to show
> him about 7 or 8 Klan records he had just bought.  Don't remember who
> either of them were, and he didn't mention how much he paid for them.
>>> (I know, I know... distasteful as the racist content of these
>>> recordings may be to many collectors there surely must be someone who
>>> has knowledge in this area).   Mal Rockwell
> Although I have also not heard any of them (other than a regular Gennett
> issue of Keep Cool With Coolidge) I don't think that these can be
> anywhere near as offensive as some of the racist 45s that were issued in
> the 60s.  I think Johnny Reb was one of them and he was identified by
> someone when we discussed this last.  I don't even want to think about
> what bilge some of our "citizens" are distributing on the web right now.
> Lord knows we got our crazies even in this town.

For at least the last 150 years, if not more (?!), there has been a strong
connection between fundamentalist Christians (i.e. Rodeheaver) and
right-wing politics...?! I won't attempt to dissect this sad fact...but WILL
note that the KKK did, to some extent, represent the "neo-cons" of
that past era...?!

Steven C. Barr