[78-L] KKK

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Feb 28 12:19:07 PST 2010

Bill Knowlton wrote:
> BTW, according to the book on Gennett Records (senior moment),

Rick Kennedy's "Jelly Roll, Bix, and Hoagy: Gennett Studios and the
Birth of Recorded Jazz"

>  the Gennett recording director was a Catholic and a valued member of team.

Ezra Wickemeyer

>  He caused great waves by quitting rather than presiding over a KKK recording session. Revenge is sweet!    BILL KNOWLTON

The book says he didn't quit permanently, however.   But your last
phrase is confusing.  Revenge to who?  Or what?  By who? The records
were made, and now do exist.  Is it the revenge that the records have
outlived the influence of the Klan?  The revenge that those that the
Klan hated are now more powerful than they were?

I do agree that the past be collected and studied.  I have a copy of
Mein Kampf, and it is very illuminating to see how early he had his evil
plans in mind, and that he was fully behind the evil of his regime, not
that others were just out of control as some say in Hitler's defense.  I
collect Soviet records and memorabilia and while I might be a liberal, I
ain't no Commie.  I've got my little pieces of The Wall here on display
-- because we can't forget.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

"In the 1956 film "Storm Center" Bette Davis played a small-town
librarian who is branded as a Communist by local politicians when she
refuses to withdraw a controversial book from the library's shelves. I
think the book was "The Communist Manifesto".

Her defence was that because the Library of Congress held a copy of
"Mein Kampf" didn't make them Nazis.

Julian Vein"

Bill Knowlton wrote:
Bravo, Mr. Vain. I am so tired of the few self righteous and seemingly oh! so clever people on this list who have to find ANY reason to tar people as fascists, reactionaries or bigots.