[78-L] Rex Hollywood

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 13:35:35 PST 2010

When the CD came out, so did a Japanese 2 laserdisc set of the TV broadcast
of "Epitaph" that was sent live overseas (Homzy told me that it was a
bizarre thought that a Mingus concert was seen live in European countries in
the middle of the night and was not broadcast here, live or taped). This
broadcast is now out on DVD. I have several friends who cannot stand this
piece, but I happen to like it very much. At one time, I put in a bid to fix
up the score, but that didn't work out. The score had been engraved quickly
and there are plenty of mistakes in it.

Sue Mingus used to run off VHS copies from the laserdisc and sold them (hey,
she owns the copyright, and appears on the video), Japanese subtitles and
all. I'm sure she is very happy that she no longer has to do this.

Jeff