[78-L] Rex Hollywood

Glenn Longwell glongwell at snet.net
Fri Feb 26 05:15:54 PST 2010

Having read that Maurice Rapoport, the owner of Rex Records record store and the Metro/Rex/Rem labels, didn't pay royalties to the artists then skipped off to Mexico I was wondering if these Tatum sides on Rex/Rem were bootlegs or legitimate reissues. So I did a little searching in Billboard.

It turns out he paid for the masters with a bogus check on a closed account then didn't show up on the court date (3/8/47).  Cited with contempt of court he must have eventually paid.  An article a year later (5/15/48) about MGM stopping him from using the Metro name says that was pressing numerous disks from purchased ARA masters.  This article says he received a 30 day jail sentence and fined for not adhering to an injunction to stop selling Metro records after a certain date.  This guy just couldn't be trusted could he?

Glenn