[78-L] turntable question

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Feb 24 15:56:35 PST 2010

L78rpm at aol.com wrote:
> A friend writes of of a turntable on which there was a tone arm that  would
> move to the centre of the record and then "slowly move to the edge before
> playing".   He says that it wasn't a changer.  What would this  have been?
>
> pc

To answer the second question, this was in the LP era, somewhere in the
1980s.  The idea was to be able to have the turntable go to a specific
track like a CD player could.  The tone-arm had a light and sensor which
would first quickly scan the record from the center to the outside and
note in its memory where the bands were from the increased reflection of
the light in the spaces between the bands.  It could then locate any of
them, play them in any order, or skip over one you didn't like.  It was
a particularly stupid idea!!!  The Rabco straight-line arm might have
had this feature, but I do remember a radial-arm player that also did
this.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com