[78-L] 78rpm speed

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Feb 24 15:48:27 PST 2010

Geoffrey Wheeler wrote:
>  To younger collectors,
> they are. of course, “vinyl.” I am personally uncomfortable with that
> term because not all LPs were made of vinyl.

But then again, not all 78s were made of shellac.  Actually, the use of
styrene and other formulas for LPs was largely back in the 50s.  The
major problem I see with the use of the term vinyl for LPs is that 45s
(and 16s) were also usually vinyl, and even some 78s were vinyl.
Ironically it was far more common to find styrene 45s than styrene LPs.
I've never heard a record referred to as a "styrene"!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com