[78-L] 78rpm speed

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Wed Feb 24 12:26:37 PST 2010

As to when the term “78” came into practice I don’t know, but I do know
that when I began playing records as a child in the late 1930s, I knew
they were “78s” and there was never any mystery about what they were.
For perhaps the first few years of the LP Era, LPs were called
“microgroove” and “long-playing” because that was what “LP” stood for.
Various record companies even cataloged their LPs using the prefix “MG”
to designate “microgroove.” As record companies began identifying their
LPs as “33-1/3” people shortened that to “33,” and to some older
records collectors today LPs are known as “33s.” To younger collectors,
they are. of course, “vinyl.” I am personally uncomfortable with that
term because not all LPs were made of vinyl.