[78-L] Capitol label types

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Sat Feb 20 07:51:34 PST 2010

A large part of the Capitol 78 series has been issued with 2 different label variants,
differing in the typeface used for tune title and artist credit.
1 - The first and more common typeface is elongated. It occurs in early issues,
ca. # 200-500, and in a large part of the popular series, ca. # 800-3000.
2 - The second typeface was introduced later and is smaller and round. Maybe it was
introduced after ca. #800 (or somewhere in the 15000 series) and also used for a few
repressings of early issues.
Both fonts also occur on promo issues.
There is a small difference between the label blanks used with both fonts:
this concerns the position of the asterisk in the rim text at ca. 1h, after the word 'U.S.A.'.
On type 2 there is a larger distance to the word 'purpose' [I checked this with the 60000 series].

QUESTION:
Are these typefaces connected to different pressing plants & printers ?
For example, West Coast / East Coast?
Is there a relation to stamper numbers in the wax (if such are present?)?

We see these typeface variants also in the 57-60000 series.
I have a single label image of Boplicity numbered 60011 (without prefix);
it has type 1 on a much later label type without upper rim text.

Until recently I only missed Alice Hall's 57-60007 label image in this series,
but is was on ebay last month, with typeface version 1.

Han Enderman