[78-L] Cinema and Theatre Orchestras - was OT Musical genres^

Damian R damian at geduk.plus.com
Sat Feb 20 04:31:59 PST 2010

At least one other Theatre Orchestra from beyond London made records, though
not very many: The Capitol Theatre Cardiff Orchestra, conducted by Lionel
Falkman (1892, Port Talbot - 1963, Cardiff)

Falkman went on to be band leader at the Lyon's Corner House in Oxford
Street, which also recorded.

With his theatre orchestra, he recorded Offenbach arr. Myddleton - Orpheus
in the Underworld (Regal G9205, matrices WA 7853-1, 7854-1 (35635, 35634),
recorded 15th September 1928, available from December 1928 to August 1930)
I have a copy of this.

The other one listed is Regal G9229 (matrices WA 7851-2, 7852-1) issued
January 1929. This contains "Ay, ay, ay" and "Nobody knows the trouble I've
seen", both with Falkman playing solo violin, the first with the theatre
orchestra, the second with Charles Barrington at the piano. He also recorded
2 unissued 12" sides at the same session, WAX 4061 and 4062, containing
Strauss's Vienna Woods and the Mazurka from Delibes's Coppelia.

Damian Rogan