[78-L] fwd: Art van Damme

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Feb 19 20:53:17 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Geoffrey Wheeler" <dialjazz at verizon.net>
>I have the Discovery Shearing  78 album and 10-inch LP. I forget what’s
> on them. Decades ago, many musicians got a start playing the accordion,
> especially in certain ethnic neighborhoods here in the States.
> Brooklyn-born Barry Manilow started out on accordion. Gene Joslin
> mentions Buster Moten soloing with Benny Moten’s orchestra. Buster as
> “Bus Moten” also recorded for Capitol. I have the record, Captol 70017:
> Bus Moten and His Men:  It’s Hard to Laugh or Smile/I Ain’t Gonna Give
> Nobody None of My Jelly Roll. Also Capitol 70033: On the Gravy
> Train/Gone. The LoC has neither record.

When I was a child (a LONG time ago!) there was an operartion  which
sold accordions to young musician-wannabes and provided lessons
thereon. The idea was (the purchaers must have been living in a tree...?!)
that once you successfully learned how to play your accordion, the
riches of musicianship (???) were available...!

Note that this message missed Charles Magnante...?!

Steven C. Barr