[78-L] fwd: Art van Damme

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Fri Feb 19 13:41:27 PST 2010

The wonderful Joe Mooney,  who also was a great
singer,  pianist and organist.

I had totally forgotten about Joe Mooney. I love his playing. I have
his Decca 78s, an LP, some of the Columbia Sunshine Boys 78s and an LP
of their recordings. his work with Sauter-Finegan... Marvelous stuff! A
few minutes ago, I got a phone call from a collector friend, who said:
“I want you to hear to this.” He then started up a disc that featured
Charlie Parker playing a version of “Now’s the Time.” I knew right away
from the sound and the tempo that I had never heard it before. I was
shocked at what came next: an accordion solo! My friend played it
through for maybe eight bars, then cut it off. He told me this was a
recording on a 10-inch Duo Disc lacquer from a May 3, 1947 WNEW
Saturday Night Swing Session broadcast. The flip side has other
performers. As both of us said in amazement: Who would have imagined
Parker ever played with an accordionist! At this point, my guess is
Ernie Felice, but I am hoping to learn more, perhaps an identification.
My friend purchased the disc from e-bay.