[78-L] Broadway albums in Canada

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Feb 19 06:42:47 PST 2010

David Lennick wrote:
 >  and then I suspect they went to black label US, red label Canada,
full colour red probably from 1959 or '60..?  dl
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> All of the Show recordings on Victor 78s I've seen have been black:  Brigadoon, Allegro, Eileen, High Button Shoes, etc.  However, Paint Your Wagon is green labeled.
>>
>> db

What a hideous color to have painted your wagon!  I bet it would have
stood out like a sore thumb during an Indian fight!!!

> Note I said "1950 on". Call Me Madam is green label (and the thin vinyl DJ
> pressings I used for the Naxos issue are white label, and glorious things they
> are).

I have had the U.S. 78 set of Call Me Madam forever, and didn't realize
till recently I didn't have the U.S.  LP.  I picked it up recently,
LOC-1000, and the cover specifically states right under the RCA Victor
logo Green Label Series.  Peter Pan came out in the U.S. just around the
transition from the outline dog label to the color dog, but I think that
any outline pressings were already black label.  I've never seen a green
label in the color dog era, so I wonder what they did with the early LOC
discs when the label type changed.  Did they change the cover or were
these out of print by then?  I don't have the strength right now to go
down to the shelves and look at the copies I have.

> Some 78 cast albums were teal label when they were in that "Double Feature"
> series.
>
> dl

An interesting thing about the Call Me Madam LP is that they do not list
who sings which songs on either the labels or the jacket.  They listed
them on the 78 labels, right?

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com