[78-L] TMFR, was Re: [8-L posts--WAS: Washing records

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Feb 16 17:10:22 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert M. Bratcher Jr." <bratcher at pdq.net>
> I haven't moved in 10 years. Why? I hate packing up then unpacking
> the records. Last time I moved I let the moving company handle them &
> the records turned out fine with no breakage.

I moved out here to Oshawa from Toronto back in 1997; the move
involved about 300 old-size* milk boxes full of 78's! The person who
was arranging my move had NO idea how heavy shellac 78's were.
She rented a "3-ton" cargo van; it had the SPACE for all the full boxes,
but NOT the weight capacity. After about 200+ full boxes had been
loaded (around 26,000 lbs.!) the van was sagging dangerously; so,
that was the "first load"...and a second trip would be needed.

I lost VERY few records through breakage...the few that I DID
lose were all in partially-full milk boxes, which allow 78's to slam
into box walls on corners...!

Steven C. Barr