[78-L] Baldwin -Val Ernie

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Tue Feb 16 05:51:26 PST 2010

Taylor Bowie wrote:
> Someone posted a few weeks ago that they had several of those 30s Baldwin
> labels.  Could that person repost their list or send it to me off line?
>
> Thanks from
>
> Taylor
---
I have label images of one side of 3 Val Ernie issues (495-497) and will mail these.

Here are some fragments from the discussion:

The 2nd Baldwin label (from Starr ) is still extremely rare. It remains a label I had never found before.
The 2 images in ARLIE show:
B-496 - Guess (comp Alfred Feltman) by Val Ernie. Poss. this tune can be dated?
B-585 - St. Juste Zamor & Haitian Group: Ti Fi M'Pale.... (mx 1008).
Mal, can you date this release?
Han Enderman
---
I have three Baldwin labels in my label collection (mostly gleaned from
ePay over the years: B-495, B-497 & B-505). The first two are by Val
Ernie and 505 is by Helen Cavanaugh. All three have double eccentric
rings after the runout, closest to the labels. I don't think Gennett
ever used double eccentrics, but I'm not sure. Then again they could
have been recorded and mastered by one company and pressed by Gennett.
I dunno.
Mal
---
There was for sure a Val Ernie Orchestra in Florida from around 1930 into at
least the late 40s.
The composer of the song on the label wrote other songs,  one published at
least as far back as 1907,  and was associated with a famous family of Coney
Island developers and restaurant owners.
---
Han Enderman
===