[78-L] acoustic recording

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Feb 14 16:28:26 PST 2010

Mike Biel wrote:
>> Of course the Pathe records were 75 cents -- but were the exact same
>> recordings as the 35 cent Perfects. I wonder
>> why ANY copies of Pathe Actualles that are duplicated on Perfect ever
>> show up!!
>>

> A close look at both Pathe (Actuelle) and Perfect records will reveal that
> they show both the PA and Perfect catalog numbers in the "wax."

Of course, that is why I said that I know that they were on both
labels.  I'm just amazed that anyone would buy the higher priced Pathe's
instead of the identical recording on Perfect, especially of marginal
pop records.

> Also,
> IIRC, Perfects originally sold for 50 cents; the price changed to 35 cents
> after many labels were merged into ARC 1929-30 (IIRC).
>
> Steven C. Barr

According to Sutton & Nauck's ARLIE the Perfect price was reduced in
late 1924 to 39 cents or 3/$1.00.  So the large price differential was
during the era we're discussing,

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com