[78-L] Canada Domestic series catalog prefixes

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Feb 14 09:46:39 PST 2010

As far as I know, Decca had no domestic Canadian recordings since they'd had
the Apex label since 1919, the Starr label for Quebecois artists, Celtic for
Maritimers (did they own or just distribute that label?). Capitol did no
Canadian recording till Paul White started the 6000 series (LP) and the 45
series you mention, around 1961.

Columbia, on the other hand, did Canadian recording (as well as releasing some
European masters for Canada only) from about 1954-55, which they'd never done
as the satellite of US Columbia. They kept the 1+ series (around 2600 by now)
and were still using it on 45s as late as 1971. There were also a couple of
sides by folk singer Adam Timoon on late blue label Masterworks (10000 series)
and a few green label 8000s in the late 50s as well.

Decca DID have some Canada-only releases from French Decca, as well as one from
Parlophone (Victor Sylvester" Teddy Bears Picnic, which was a theme on CBC
radio) and I forget the numbering series for that one (single release). A
6-digit number adding a "2" to an existing series, same as Herbert had done
with HMV to create Canadian versions of similar Victor series.

dl