[78-L] "Value" of 78s

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sat Feb 13 14:31:14 PST 2010

>> common and inexpensive now, but that does not mean that they are not
> better than the rare territory band or obscure opera singer.  The dollar
> records are often much better musically than the hundred dollar record.
> And the expensive records only notable because of their expense.
>
> Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

I agree with you on that,  Mike.  Many of the most expensive jazz and blues
records  I've heard seem to be valuable for their rarity rather than their
musical value.

I would say there is more connection to musical value with a lot of the
dance band records.  I don't buy the Blue Wax Columbias because I like their
looks or how they play...but I haven't minded paying good $ for super clean
copies of the great ones by Paul Ash,  Mark Fisher, Earl Burtnett and a few
others.  Same with the Anson Weeks on MacGregor.  And when I pay a lot for
other early MacGregors it's because I'm interested in the dance band style
of the era,  esp. as it was on the West Coast.   The rarity is more of an
irritation than anything else.  I would be no less interested in them if
they cost five bucks each...and often I wish they did.   I can't testify to
the motivations of others who spend money on records,  but I don't do it for
any other reason than the music and the history connected with the artists.

Taylor