[78-L] "Value" of 78s

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Feb 13 14:06:56 PST 2010

Taylor Bowie wrote:
> I still don't follow this thread. Why try to make claims about the "values"
> of 78s based on the cheapest and most common crap?   Or the possible money
> to be made on a quick turnover  lot sale?

Not necessarily quick, but I had always thought that the discussion was
about what large collections seem to go for in bulk.  The thread a week
or so ago about the 15,000 disc opera collection that Smolian and
Holdridge were bidding over ended with Larry Holdridge getting it for
$14,000, and I bet there are some $100 records in it, maybe even some
$500 or $1000.  But also a lot that won't be easy to sell.

> I know I can buy "records" for a buck each or less....but it's the records I
> WANT which cost the money.

There are a lot of collectors who are not all that interested in
spending a couple of hundred bucks on a Royal Blue Columbia on a minor
territory band or a G&T of an obscure opera singer.  In some cases these
expensive records are rare because their era saw relatively small
sales, and these specific records might have not been the cream of the
crop in those days.  Hits were hits, and because they solod well are
common and inexpensive now, but that does not mean that they are not
better than the rare territory band or obscure opera singer.  The dollar
records are often much better musically than the hundred dollar record.
And the expensive records only notable because of their expense.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com