[78-L] FW: Question about a record

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Feb 13 10:09:35 PST 2010

In the early LP days, Sam Goody would let people exchange a record if it
was only played once.  The clerks would look at the spindle hole and see
if there was more than one mark.  I think that he might have influence
some of the companies like Columbia to use a dull finish label to make
the marks more obvious.  Of course if you were very careful or if the
record had been a middle of the pile on a changer, you could have a
record with no marks.  Occasionally there might be a little flap of
vinyl or paper in the spindle hole and it might tend to cover the hole
until it was deflowered.  Movie rental companies would sometimes put a
label over a film reel spindle hole whenever they had run the film thru
a cleaning and inspection machine.

I have recently read articles from the 1930s about perceived differences
when playing a mint 78 -- I'll post references when I find them in my
notes -- and there was one dealer which mentioned playing a record thru
before listening to it.  And as has been mentioned in other recent
threads, the British liked "fibred" records, records which had been
played with a fresh juicy cactus thorn needle, and there were dealers
who advertised in the 30s that they fibred each record before selling it.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com