[78-L] How did it work?

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Fri Feb 12 13:51:42 PST 2010

The more ARC, Gennets, Orioles etc. I listen to, the more I wonder how these
tunes (if you can call some of them that) came to be recorded.
In other words, how did the recording industry function?
Did the publishers' salesmen call on record company execs and / ororchestra
leaders demonstrating their latest "hits?"
Was there payola?
What was the relationship between the leaders and the publishing companies?
Did some of the leaders , depending on their popularity, make any decisions.
Did Columbia and Victor tell Whiteman or did he tell them?
Were there A & R suits?
I can guess at some of these answers but would like to know from somebody
who actually knows.

Al S.