[78-L] Washing records

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Sat Feb 13 08:18:17 PST 2010

Steven Barr says: uffice it to say that shellac records can be SEVERLY
affected...in fact,
destroyed... by long-ish-term exposure to water...?! So, cleaning 78's
with/involving water is NOT a realistic choice!

I’ve cleaned my records for decades with Dawn. After putting the disc
to be cleaned on a paper towel on a large bread board on my kitchen
counter, I apply a few drops of Dawn to an old dish sponge and lightly
wet it. Once the record surface is evenly soaped, I then use a soft
toothbrush to clean the grooves. Starting at the outer edge, I work my
way in and repeat this going counter clockwise, turning the record as I
go so I clean the entire playing surface. In doing so, I apply very
little pressure and control the amount of soap used so there is no
slick or film. I then dry my hands so as not to get any wet on the
label and rinse the record with luke-warm sink water. I then dry it
with two soft towels: one to get off the water; the second to make sure
the surfaces are absolutely dry. It’s simple and it works: By cleaning
each and every record I intend to collect, I improve the appearance and
upgrade the playability by at least a half-step (for example, from E to
E+).

Years ago, I used to use a product called something like Antique Toy
Cleaner. It was formulated for use on pre-War model trains and other
toys. I met the guy who formulated it at a trade show. I asked if the
solution worked on old 78s. He said he had never tried it. He gave me a
few bottles to use as tests. I did, and found it worked beautifully.
The ingredients were entirely organic: no alcohol, no oils, no nothing
harmful. Another big plus: A full bottle seemed to last forever, making
it quite economical for record cleaning. I told him in detail what I
had done and how it worked. He then began to market the same product as
a record cleaner. I would still be using it to this day if he hadn’t
gone out of business. I clean every record before playing it for the
first time, and make sure my hands are washed to minimize any oils
being transferred from my hands to the record surfaces. When I have
told some collectors I clean every record, they look at me
incredulously and ask “Why do you do that?” When I provided Jack Towers
with vintage 78s for dubbing, he usually commented that mine were
always the cleanest records he worked with, and the results were in the
playback.