[78-L] "Value" of 78s

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Fri Feb 12 19:12:28 PST 2010

As per usual,  Mr.  Barr seems fixated on the idea that 78s are worth "about
$1 each (or less)."  I"m not sure why this concept is so important to him,
as in fact it is simply not true.   The fact that he buys tons of material
for pennies does not take anything away from the ongoing market for better
78s,  of which there are many in all categories which routinely sell for
many times one dollar.

There is lots of cheap crap in every field of "collectable" material,
including records,  books,  art,  antiques,  etc. etc.  In no case is the
general value of material defined by the lowest common denominator,  as Mr.
Barr insists on doing with records.

I could put together a small collection of 18th century books,  none of
which would be worth more than $5 or $10 each.  But I would never say that
"18th century books are worth $5 to $10."

I don't collect with any interest in the "investment" factor,  but because I
enjoy listening to the music,  studying the artists,  and learning about the
times and the circumstances when the records were made.

Taylor