[78-L] There ain't no sanity clause...?!

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Feb 12 18:20:01 PST 2010

Okeh...the purpose of this post is to start (1) some serious thinking...and
(2) some serious discussion...?!

All (AFAIK) of us here on 78-L are active collectors of (very) old 78 rpm
phonorecords. We spend as much (or, in my most recent case, MORE than?!)
as we can afford to acquire these ancient artifacts...and/or related
artifacts
thereunto...! We also spend large sums on devices which will actually
RETRIEVE the sounds which they contain! Further, we send out MANY
e-mail messages concerning these artifacts (thus keeping 78-L alive...?!)!

Now, unlike many other collectible artifacts, 78rpm phonorecords are
NOT promising investments; while the motor cars I once owned (1951
Cadillac 60 Special--1966 Mustang convertible) have 100-tupled
their initial value, "78's" are still worth about $1 each (or less?!). Yet,
we (and especially *I*) continue to acquire the dommed things...?!

Admittedly, most of the content is only available to be heard to-day
via the original "78"...BUT a 78 can only provide two or three minutes
of "listening pleasure"...?!

For our resident classical-music aficianados, there is a further issue;
classical records primarily exist in "album set" form, requiring the
listener to rise and change the record every 3-5 minutes...?!

SO...why do we all have this illogical fascination?!

NO prize for "best answer"...I was just wonderin'...?!

Steven C. Barr