[78-L] noise on UK 78s

John Wright vintage at jabw.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 12 12:00:32 PST 2010

Robert Bratcher wrote

Then why is an English Decca 78 rpm classical set I own so full of
crackle when it's played?
<<

Robert,

UK Deccas are noisy even when they look mint, especially those pre-1934.

If you want to get an idea of what UK labels/records are noisy and which
are best, listen to some of my British Dance Band webcasts.

Ignore the first dozen shows where other people did the restoration for
me. After show # 12 I've been using Algorithmix Sound Rescue, a low-mid
priced software.

All my records are 'used' and I  don't spend too long using the
software, I just listen/adjust and do 'one pass'.

Decca are the most troublesome. Least trouble are Zonophone (late 1920s)
and Rex (late 1930s) and Columbias are often easy too, particularly
pre-FB series. HMV and Parlophone are tricky.

See how the results compare with your Victors and Brunswicks!

http://www.r2ok.co.uk/playlists.htm

Note: I sometimes use Audacity to snip out stubborn clicks
--
John Wright