[78-L] wet playing records

Jeff Lichtman jeff at swazoo.com
Thu Feb 11 19:28:03 PST 2010

>But Michael Biel said, (and this is what surprised me), that the
>water actually dissolves the shellac and causes more pits in the
>groove walls and hence more noise, (if I understood him correctly).
>
>db

When you play a record wet the water is forced into the surface at
high pressure. Records are slightly porous, and this pressure pushes
the water into the pores. My guess is (and I really am hypothesizing
here) that this causes tiny bits of the surface of the record to
break off. Since the record is wet, these bits will mix with the
water and be pushed along by the stylus as an abrasive slurry,
causing even more record (and stylus) wear.

As for why a wet record might sound better - the water probably fills
in the little pits caused by wear and by the record's filler
material, causing the stylus to skate over them. I would expect,
though, that the water would also fill in the small groove
undulations caused by high-frequency signal, and would round the
edges of transients. This again is the fundamental problem of noise
reduction - how do you distinguish between signal and noise? Does
playing a record wet do anything that a low-pass filter wouldn't do?

                        -        Jeff Lichtman
                                 jeff at swazoo.com
                                 http://swazoo.com/