[78-L] wet playing records

Milan P Milovanovic milanpmilovanovic4 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 17:12:06 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:02 PM
Subject: Re: [78-L] wet playing records

> But you have to COMPLETELY dry the records and keep them dry in order
> for this to happen.  There are also different grades of shellac, and the
> shellac used for Red Seal records is well known to be more resistant to
> water and moisture damage than used in black label Victors.

It is quite interesting that John R.T. Davies also mentioned this in one of
his interviews:

"Have you ever had a "record disaster"?

Around eighteen years ago a lightning strike set fire to this building and,
while actual losses numbered no more than half a dozen items, water damage
reduced about four thousand E+s to V+s despite immediate drying and
re-sleeving with a lot of help from my friends (we worked like hell from c.
2:30 a.m. through to around ten o'clock the following evening). This taught
me a lot about the susceptibility to water of the various styles of
pressing!! Painfully! "

So my question is: are shellac records sensible to wet cleaning?