[78-L] Record Stores

Scott scott at mosaicrecords.com
Thu Feb 11 16:13:29 PST 2010

When Mosaic issued the Complete Commodore Recordings, Milt would make the
trip from New Rochelle to Stamford and hang out for a good part of the day.
This was around 1990 when Vol.3 was released. I remember one day our
co-owner Charlie Lourie called me into his office and Milt just sat and
talked about the record biz and music. A wonderful man.

In the notes to Vol.1, Milt mentions that his dad (Julius) had a radio and
electrical supply shop. This was on Third Ave between 41st and 42nd St.
Later a store became available between Lex and Third Ave at 144 E. 42nd and
Julius decided to make this exclusively a radio shop. The Commodore Hotel
was nearby and that's how the name of Commodore Radio Corporation came about
which was later changed in the early 30s to Commodore Music Shop when the
demand for records and Milt's vision to have a record shop became dominating
forces. As mentioned earlier the store opened in 1926. Right away, says Milt
said he started stocking Columbia, Brunswick, a little later Victor, and
other labels.

By the way, if people want to contact me off-line, we still have booklets of
Vol. 1 and 2 left plus a Commodore discography that was prepared by Vinnie
Pelote. The story of CMS is presented with extensive interviews with Milt
that were conducted by Dan Morgenstern. Great photos too of the inside and
outside of the shop.

Scott Wenzel
scott at mosaicrecords.com