[78-L] Record Stores

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Thu Feb 11 14:37:40 PST 2010

That’s a great project! I’ll be happy to help. Issues of The Record
Changer and Down Beat of the 1940s and ’50s carried store ads that show
their offerings, prices, etc. The HRS Society Rag also sent out
periodic auction lists in the 1930s which reveal the kind of stock they
were offering for sale and minimum bids. Store “stamps” on label
catalogs are another good source for store names. Obviously, if a store
carried label catalogs and rubber-stamped their names on them, they
carried the records. I even have a copy of Brunswick 2011 with a store
stamp carefully placed around the outside of the record label. This
record was released around January 15, 1920 among the first 15 released
by Brunswick in the “2000” numerical series. I have record sleeves from
the 1920s from British record stores, as I’m sure other 78-Listers do.
Schleman’s Rhythm on Record also contains print advertising for the
period. Concert programs may have store advertising. I have a newspaper
clipping about Benny Goodman visiting a record store in Ft. Wayne,
Indiana in 1939 while appearing at a local movie house for the weekly
Camel Caravan. He was there for about a half-hour visit to autograph
records (probably NOT Artie Shaw’s). Stores I visited in Boston while
growing up included Boston Music Co., Jack’s Records, Symphony Records
(part of the Boston Symphony Hall building), Book and Record Annex, and
several others whose names I have forgotten. Of course many department
and chain stores sold records. My mother got Harry James to autograph a
copy of his Brunswick “Ciribiribin” at Raymond’s in Boston. Raymond’s
also sold great macaroons.